Tuesday, March 10, 2009

For the patient, even an egg will walk

This was a quote I read on a message board for our adoption agency. I thought it spoke volumes to this adoption process. It is all about patience....waiting....and more waiting. While I was doing all of the paperwork, I was working towards something, towards our child. Now...you just wait. It is a bit anticlimatic. And there isn't any real excitement building up towards it. Most people you see daily may or may not know you are adopting. They can't see you waiting. And for people you do know...what are they going to say..."how are you feeling these days?" "how is the waiting going?" It is just a strange feeling. You think about is the birthmom pregnant? Has she had the baby? Is she okay? Is the baby okay?

The one thing I am doing is reading. Right now, The History of Ethiopia. That is heavy material when it starts about 2000 B.C. Yes, 2000 B.C. I am finally into the 1900s. It is a fascinating country with history that is rich, exciting, and unique. The only African nation that has never been colonized for one. Many think the birthplace of man.

I am hoping to get involved in the Ethiopian community here. I was surprised to find that there is a large enough group here in Charlotte. We accidentally ran into an Ethiopian Orthodox church one day. Hopefully the church and group will be a good touchstone for us learn about Ethiopia and the people of Ethiopia.

Not sure why I rambled all of that out. This is such a different experience from being pregnant. I am glad we have Declan to keep us busy. The wait must be agonizing for a first time parent. We hope to learn all we can about adoption, interracial families, and Ethiopia before we bring our child home...that moment can't come soon enough.

1 comment:

Jill said...

I've read this post several times and really appreciate your honesty. This is just the beginning of a long 18 months for us, but I know the wait will be so worth it. I can't imagine waiting for my first child like this. It must be so hard. You are already 3 months into your wait - 1/4 of the way there! Dont' worry, my friend. Your egg will walk, and it will be so amazing to watch it!