Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration Day 2009


Our Inauguration Day Breakfast!
Here is Daddy and Declan watching Obama get sworn in. Declan has a special relationship with Obama. Several months before the election, out of the blue, he said to us, "I know who I am going to vote for." We said, "Who?" He said, "Arack Obama." Perplexed, we asked why he had chose him. "I saw him talk and I liked what he said." Declan doesn't watch much TV but I guess he must have seen him somewhere. He was very excited, as we were, to watch the happenings today.
Obama being elected has been an eye opening experience for Declan. We have been talking to him quite a bit about his new brother or sister looking different from him. We look at books, vidoes, pictures of people from Ethiopia. As we watched the Will.I.Am video Yes We Can on Youtube, I explained that Obama would be the first African-American president, the first man with brown skin to be president. Declan was intrigued by this, as if he had never noticed. He said, "Just like my new brother or sister." Shortly after that, he noticed Oprah has brown skin as well. I am excited to know our child will come to this country and all things will be possible!

1 comment:

Jill said...

I love how colorblind kids are. Luke and I talked about Obama being the first black (darker skinned) President and Luke looked at me as if to say, "Yeah? So? Why is that a big deal?" He has no idea why it would be a big deal, because to him, he's just another man - he doesn't see his dark skin as making him different.