Friday, May 21, 2010

Meeting Terefech

At the suggestion of Kami, I tried to journal since I knew I wasn't going to get to the blog very often when I was in Ethiopia. Here is what I wrote the night of the day we met Terefech.

Today we met Terefech. The basics...they take you into a small classroom with maybe 25 kids and call her name. She came right to us and gave Rich the biggest and tightest hug. I was completely overwhelmed (tearing up right now). I have no idea if she did that because she was supposed to or if she was truly that moved. The nannies finally told her to hug me (I think). She did with almost the same fierceness. We then went to the outdoor play area. The other families were with their children as well. Terefech was just as she had been described. She smiles from ear to ear, giggles at silly things, and is quiet. She engaged with us, teasing and playing. There were times when she held on tight as if making sure we were really there. We played with a squishy ball, connecting discs and read a book. Her favorite thing by far was the photo album. She loved seeing pictures of herself, the other kids, and us (especially Declan). When the other kids came out to play, it was amazing to see her get territorial with our toys as well as us. There wasn't room for Rich once a circle of kids swarmed around us. She reached out and pushed another kid out of the way to make room for him. There were times in our morning together when she seemed completely overwhelmed with everything that sat before her. I can't imagine what goes through a child's mind at a moment like this. How excited, scared, overwhelmed, happy, sad, the list goes on.

We left the children at lunchtime. It was hard leaving them knowing they had no idea if we were coming back. They have already endured more loss than I will ever know. Terefech left us easily but definitely looked back.

After completing some paperwork in the afternoon, we returned to the care center and got a surprise. More time with the kids! We all were a bit unprepared but made due with sunglasses, digital watches, extra copies of paperwork to draw on with pens, books, and general silliness. Also some Amharic cartoons thrown in. By the time we got ready to leave, Terefech was cuddled up with Rich. She seemed tired...drained from a memorable day. Again, it was hard to leave. It gives me hope to know the next time we see her we are starting on the road to showing her we will always come back.

1 comment:

Jill said...

Ok, that made me cry. It was beautiful and just what I needed to hear today.