Friday, December 10, 2010

Just when you need it...

You know how you have those days, weeks, maybe even months where it you feel like you should win the bad parent award daily. Nothing seems to go right and no one is happy. We have had a week like this. We attribute is mostly to the fact that Declan is still struggling with having a new sister and he rebels against that every so often. He does it in subtler ways, like struggling with simple tasks so he gets help or needing you to stay with him before he goes to sleep. His not so subtle ways are things like screaming at her even when she says she doesn't understand or just saying no to anything she wants. This week it has made me crazy. I have lost it several times with him and said I am done with his ridiculousness. This afternoon, he was really getting to both of us. So, Rich and Terefech left to pick something up from the store and he decided to wrap his present for cousin Connor. We found a bag it would fit in, tissue paper and then he made a tag....
and wrote on the back....

and I remembered why I think he is such a great kid, love him so much, and that I need to remember that he is a kid going through huge change. His world in the last 7 months has become something unrecognizable to him. We have had job changes, family changes, and school changes. I wish I could make it easy for him, but I can't. All I can do is breathe deep and love him!

2 comments:

LisbonNeuzil said...

Hang in there, we all have those times, you are not alone! I agree, big changes in our lives can cause big changes in our children's behavior, and it helps (just a little) to keep it in mind. My kids are just now old enough where I can bring their attention to the cause of their anxiety, which makes them feel a little better, and then makes them roll their eyes and beg "can we please talk about something else"!

Carrie said...

Hang in there! It seems to come and go here, too. Knowing he can be honest with you is so good.