Friday, April 8, 2011

Support

I have started a support group here in Charlotte for parents who have adopted internationally.  There isn't one here which I found unbelievable.  We are slow going and small but I hope we'll continue to grow.  I have found that having the support of other adoptive parents is invaluable.  Like many things that you go through in life, it is such a relief to have someone else say, "Been there..."  And this experience is no different.  I am not a go it alone person on this one.  I am lucky to have a close friend here in Charlotte who also adopted internationally around the same time (Jill), but we both felt like we needed more support than each other.  I am so excited to be around other parents who have taken this journey for whatever the reason.  To learn from their experiences, to tell them about ours, for our daughter to see other families that look like ours.  And to know I am not alone...

The adoption group has also made me think about the group we traveled to Ethiopia with.  One of the agency people said at one point that your group would become part of your family, you will experience with them and no one else, you will create memories with them.  After each support group meeting, I often think of them, wish we lived closer, could see each other, could tell them how important they are.  It is often strange to think that on one of your most important life journeys, you are joined by people you don't know.  You are forced to live with them, cry with them, be supported by them, and create bond for a lifetime.  It is so important to me to keep in touch with them all so that Terefech can know the kids she came to this country with.  They all share a common experience and come from the same place.  I want her to have the opportunity for that connection when the time comes.  

No comments: